Historical background of Saviore.
In Saviore downtown,last village of the high Valsaviore in Vallecamonica,is located the shelter house of the Friends of Nature ” Alexander Langer ” .The house is named after the journalist and peaceful,political and teacher, Alexander Langer, an intellectual and political leader who , for almost twenty years after his death,is receiving more and more appreciation.The house is open all year around by appointment and there are agreements with groups,schools and associations.The accommodation is arranged on two floors connected by a terrace overlooking the valley,and has two kitchens,twenty-four beds in two bedrooms with lofts,four bathrooms with showers,central heating,wood stoves and fireplace.The activities of the house – shelter is based on the practice of self-management and it is therefore all entrusted to the sense of responsibility of members users.
Saviore of Adamello is situated at an altitude ranging from a minimum of 1,210 to a maximum of 3,535 meters above sea level.It is the last town of a valley area of the mountain left bank of Valcamonica called Val Saviore,which in addition to include some of the Adamello glacier, glacial largest single body of the Italian Alps with an area of about 17,000 hectares,embraces also eastern gate of the camun shrine called Campo Pass.
First title for Italy’s World Heritage List since 1979, Valcamonica was a place of worship since the end of the wuermian Ice Age ,which occurred between 14,000 and 12,000 years from now, whose symbolic heritage includes figures and sacred representations which can be considered common to all mankind. So far more than 400,000 of them were classified by the Camun Center of Prehistoric Studies among which there are also small cave temples in shelters under-rock, springs and ravines. Almost 60% of this valley is subjected to forms of protection: the national parks of the Stelvio and Naquane of Capo di Ponte, the regional parks of Adamello and of archaeological reserves.
The numerous natural reserves, some of which are part of the SIC (Sites of community Interest), make this place one of the most interesting areas of natural and cultural heritage of Europe.
Activities carried out by the Section
The activities of the section of Saviore followed the original inspiration of the founders of NFI (Naturefriends International) whose slogan was: “BERG FREI!”
“MOUNTAIN FREE!”The Saviore section puts in practice this slogan through a constant commitment to the defense of the natural balance, biodiversity, wildlife, authentic mountain culture which that biodiversity promoted, defended and multiplied over the centuries.
Some of the activities carried out by the section are:
- efense of nature through an daily action, as well as educational tours for the schools, in order to clean the paths from each waste
-Promotion of traditional culture through the recovery shared by the whole community of the ancient celebrations, the popular habits,medicinal herbs and springs
- Collaboration with environmental groups in Valcamonica in the fight against the savage exploitation of the streams
- Cooperation since a long time with the San Carlos Apaches in Arizona (USA), with the Lakota of the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota (USA) and the Venerable Geshe Lobsang Tenkiong, a Tibetan refugee from the region of Kham (eastern Tibet); from this cooperation many activities were born in our valley, as the one with the disabled people of the cooperative “The Cardo” of Edolo,that we consider valuable and important
- Spiritual dialogue through a project aiming at promoting spiritual exchanges with other peoples and cultures
- Hikes a couple of days long to recall the ancient transhumance, which retraces the route once crossed by shepherds and livestock
- Annual excursion linked to the twinning relationship with Apache reserves of San Carlos and White Mountain, Arizona. Since 1992 the latter ,as protest against the construction of an astronomical observatory on top of their sacred mountain Dzil Nchaa is,perform every year the Sacred Run,a relay race, as a pilgrimage,as an affirmation of the right to freedom of worship , and as a protest against the desecration suffered.
In solidarity with them and concurrently,in Saviore we reiterates the Sacred Run bringing the relay to the summit of Mount King Castello.
- Celebrate the equinoxes and solstices
How to contact us:
House address: Via Guani n. 12 – 25050 Saviore dell’Adamello – Brescia
name and phone numbers: Italo Bigioli 0364/634664 – 335/6871116